The main purpose of the Steering Committee is to ensure the continuity and the quality of ECDL. More specifically, the Steering Committee should:
The Steering Committee has the final authority on every aspect related to the organization and management of ECDL.
As a general rule the Steering Committee will meet once a year, in connection with the ECDL conference, unless some exceptional circumstances will require more frequent meetings. Those additional meetings may use electronic means like e-mail of telephone as long as it allows full participation of all Steering Committee members.
The Steering Committee members are:
- plan future ECDL conferences;
- evaluate how well each conference has achieved the objectives and the mission of ECDL;
- collect feedback about ECDL for the purpose of improving the conference over time and for giving support to future organizers;
- work together with the Executive Board to solicit proposals for future conferences and decide on the venue of future ECDL conferences, in response to the submitted proposals;
- approve the General Chair(s) and the Program Chair(s) for each ECDL conference, as indicated in the selected proposal;
- assist in the appointment of positions in the Organizing and Program Committees;
- appoint the Executive Board members.
The Steering Committee elects (from within its members) the Executive Board, which is composed of the
Chair, the Secretary and the Treasurer. In the recent years the Chair was Costantino Thanos and the
Secretary Vittore Casarosa (the position of the Treasurer has always been vacant, as there are
no funds to be managed).
At the meeting of the Steering Committee held in Corfu in September 2009, in connection with ECDL 2009,
both Costantino and Vittore resigned, and Maristella Agosti and Andy Rauber where unanimously elected
as the new Chair and the new Secretary, respectively.
Following the guidelines of the Charter, each year the General Chair(s) and the Program Chair(s) of the current
ECDL Conference are invited to become members of the Steering Committee. The members of the Steering Committee
after ECDL 2009 are the following.
- the General Chair(s) and the Program Chair(s) of the previous conferences;
- a representative of the ACM/IEEE JCDL Steering Committee;
- any other expert who is a prominent member of the ECDL community, not being a General Chair or Program Chair, on which the Steering Committee members are in agreement with a majority of two thirds.
- Maristella Agosti (University of Padova, Italy) - Chair
- Bolette Ammitzboll Jurik (State and University Library, Aarhus, Denmark)
- Jose Borbinha (Technical University of Lisbon, Portugal)
- Vittore Casarosa (ISTI-CNR, Pisa, Italy)
- Donatella Castelli (ISTI-CNR, Pisa, Italy)
- Stavros Christodoulakis (Technical University of Crete, Greece)
- Birte Christensen-Dalsgaard (State and University Library, Aarhus, Denmark)
- Norbert Fuhr (University of Duisburg, Germany)
- Julio Gonzalo (UNED - Madrid, Spain)
- Yannis Ioannidis (University of Athens, Greece)
- Sarantos Kapidakis (Ionian University, Greece)
- Laszlo Kovacs (MTA SZTAKI, Budapest, Hungary)
- Carlo Meghini (ISTI-CNR, Pisa, Italy)
- Erich Neuhold (University of Vienna, Austria)
- Christos Papatheodorou (Ionian University, Greece)
- Andy Rauber (Technical University of Wien, Austria) - Secretary
- Ingeborg Solvberg (NTNU, Trondheim, Norway)
- Costantino Thanos (ISTI-CNR, Pisa, Italy)
- Felisa Verdejo (UNED - Madrid, Spain)